Fermented Garlic Honey Tofu Stir Fry Recipe
Basic Kitchen is a farm-to-table restaurant located in the heart of downtown Charleston, SC. While they have steaks and burgers, most of their menu focuses on unique, plant-based alternatives to your favorite meals (Cauliflower Wings, Corn Ribs).
Apis Mercantile was lucky enough to have Head Chef from Basic Kitchen, Charlie Layton, create a plant-based dish with our Fermented Garlic Honey. This honey is great for plant based cooking because it really brings out some umami flavors and adds depth to tofu dishes. When working with tofu you want to impart as much flavor as you can before cooking it.
(2)tbs of fermented garlic from Apis Mercantile’s Fermented Garlic Honey, roughly chopped
(3)cups of tamari
(¼) cup of rice wine vinegar
(1) serrano pepper, deseeded, finely chopped
(1) inch of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
(3) tbs of Apis Mercantile’s Fermented Garlic Honey
(1) block of extra firm tofu- cubed
Stir fry ingredients-
(1) carrot- chopped
(1) red bell pepper- chopped
( ½) cup of mung bean sprouts (½) yellow onion-chopped
(16oz) package of Thai rice noodles
(¼) cup neutral oil (we opted for olive oil)
Apis Mercantile’s Fermented Garlic Honey
1. Combine marinade ingredients in a medium bowl, mix well.
2. Let tofu marinate for minimum 1 hour, maximum overnight.
3. Preheat cast iron over medium heat. Add marinated tofu + marinade.
4. Turn heat to medium high. Cook until marinade reduces and tofu turns golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Return tofu and marinade back to the bowl.
5. Cook Thai rice noodles based off of the packaging instructions.
6. Golden rule to every stir fry is you want to get the pan very hot. Once hot, you can use any neutral oil. Add ¼ cup oil to the pan and wait until the oil is almost smoking before adding onion.
7. Toss onions in oil and then add the peppers and carrots. Cook for 2 minutes, so vegetables are al dente.
8. Add bean sprouts and Thai rice noodles to cast iron. Incorporate noodles and veggies. Add tofu along with marinade to the pan. Incorporate the marinade, tofu, Thai rice noodles and veggies.
9. Plate the dish and finish with a drizzle of Apis Mercantile’s Fermented Garlic Honey, cilantro, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.